Saturday, August 21, 2010

Exploring State College by Bike

After Farmer's Market
We've been having loads of fun exploring State College by bike. In fact, we haven't been in the car since we got here and made a larder stocking run out the North Atherton strip.

My first goal after the fridge was full and our was gear was stacked was to get my hands on a city bike route map. Ok that was my second goal. First was to schedule someone to hook up the internet connection. Then I was free to go map hunting. I scored a beautiful map of the Rothrock State Forest trails at the first bike shop, but no commuter map. Used to have them, but were out. Same story at the next shop, and the next. Finally I was directed to the Visitor Center - the source of the maps. They too were at a loss until someone found a few tucked away in the back of a display rack. It was an excellent map showing both the extensive bus system here and the bike routes, bike paths, and regional roads classified by traffic and shoulder width. But it was 4 years out of date and there were to be no more - the expense was too great. Which is a shame. I can't imagine being a new biker in town and finding my way without this map. There are so many bike paths tucked in at the end of cul de sacs, service roads through university agricultural lands bypassing long stretches of strip, and rural highway with impossible to predict traffic and shoulder. I'd have gladly paid the $12 spent on the Rothrock map for my bike route map. With my rare treasure in hand, I headed home.
My Treasure Map


It didn't take long to find back routes to the Walmart, the Giant, and the Wegmans. The borough seemed to be trying pretty hard to be bike friendly. Little did I know how committed they were. Where there has been recent construction, bike paths, bike signs, bike lanes, and even bike tunnels abound. Bike routes through campus and along residential streets are well marked. But when you come up against the older trunk routes and strip highways, there's not much to make a biker feel welcome. Beautiful bike paths sometimes end at busy shoulderless roads, and it can be hard to string together the various facilities to make it past the ring roads and freeway in some directions. Some bike routes on busy roads end up being sidewalks, which is less than ideal. Definitely a work in progress, but still very functional, and up turn.

Path and Stream Share a Culvert


I tested how serious State College is about improving biking just a few days in. On my way to Eddie's Bikes to buy Ann a new lock I was negotiating a left turn onto a side street watching traffic, and, lulled by all the excellent storm drain grates around town, proceeded to drop my front wheel into a bad one on Calder Alley. Needless to say I did an over-the-handlebar dismount. I picked myself up, went back to retrieve my bike (issuing an angry hissing sound from the front tire), collected my precious bike map from the middle of the street, walked the rest of the way to Eddie's and paid him $12 to fix my flat.

Replacement Bike Safe Grates
When I got back to the apartment, I emailed the borough and described my accident and the hazard. I had an acknowledgement from them within the hour. I intended to photograph the offending grate that afternoon, but got another email an hour later from the Borough Operations Manager saying it had been replaced. No way! I went to see, and sure enough. Here's a photo of the fixed grates. And one like the one that ate my wheel, but in a safe location.

Wheel Eater in Safe Location

I emailed my thanks, and mentioned a pair of grates I saw on the way home presenting a similar hazard. Same thing - fixed the next day. I'm impressed. I'd say biking is on their radar and can only get better.

Not that everyone's on board. One day I sat next to my bike on a grassy shoulder at the edge of town to take a call. The homeowner (I assume) pulled in the driveway and asked me to get off his yard. I didn't know I was such an eyesore - and it really wasn't that nice a yard either. He did thank me when I moved to the neighbor's easement. Small consolation.

And drivers here sometimes seem unsure how to treat bikers. Some get confused at stop signs when Ann and I ride as vehicles. They try to wave us through, confusing us and other drivers. Some treat us as pedestrians, others as vehicles. Maybe it's all the students riding sidewalks, ignoring signs, and riding backwards against traffic. Others seem oblivious to us. Drivers here definitely give you less room when they pass than in Houghton. And I've already been cut off by a woman turning right into her drive - came right along side me and turned. Never even turned her head my way. I don't think she ever saw me. Very creepy. Definitely have to keep you eyes open.

Still, all-in-all a good biking town. I look forward to trying our low-car(b) diet.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good exploring and enjoying the biking in the S.C. area. Besides your low-car(b) diet, it souonds like your well into your At-kin(etic)s diet as well.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete