Tuesday, May 17, 2011

DC: Capital Crescent and Rock Creek Trails

The Capital Crescent Trail is an abandoned rail grade turned bike trail that swings from the Georgetown waterfront near the C&O docks up the ridge to Bethesda and Chevy Chase. Though by no means steep, it has a noticeable grade compared to the C&O towpath. As always, the tunnels and bridges add excitement and distant views.

Actually, I started this ride intending to follow the C&O. And as I left Georgetown, I did. But I kept seeing this nicely paved path along the Potomac River just below me. My fascination continued (it's easier to be fascinated when you don't do any research before hand and have no idea what's going on) as the paved path slowly rose to meet me. Which lead me to jump ship when the reached the same level, and I soon found myself on a trestle crossing over the canal and climbing inland. Cool enough. But when I hit downtown Bethesda, I thought I really should figure out where I was headed, besides generally northeast.

Luckily, there was a handy bike shop along the path soon after I worked my way through downtown along the well marked bike route. Nice map, guys! All the bike paths in the DC area, with great detail downtown. Now I could see that I was soon to enter Chevy Chase and cross over the Rock Creek park.

Rock Creek National Park was my ticket back, and had it's own bike path to boot. Actually it had a combination bike path and bike route on the road along - you guessed it - Rock Creek. I later discovered that Beech Drive through the heart of the park is closed to motorized traffic Saturday and Sunday for bikers, walkers, and skaters. Being a week day, there was some traffic once I had to leave the path and join the road, but it with a 25 mph speed limit, heading downhill, and full lane access for bikes, it was never an issue. The drivers certainly seemed to expect bikes.

Unexpected was the sudden thunderstorm that drenched me. But it was short lived, and ended by the time I reached the National Zoo. I didn't know the National Zoo was in Rock Creek park! I remember visiting as a child, but I didn't enter to see if I recognized anything.

Rock Creek Park also has numerous single tracks that would be awesome for mountain biking, but unfortunately are closed to bikes. Shoot.

The ride returns to bike path as you approach Georgetown and traffic picks up, then dumps you right back on the C&O a short distance from the bridge back to Arlington and the Mount Vernon Trail to our hotel in Crystal City. This is a great urban ride. I'd love to do it on a nice weekend when the road is closed. But even weekdays it was great. About 40 miles round trip from Regan of urban and park scenery. Recommended.










No comments:

Post a Comment