Tuesday, May 17, 2011

DC: Roosevelt Memorial

Our favorite memorial of this trip was definitely the Roosevelt Memorial. It was under construction during our last visit, so this was our first opportunity to see it.

And it did not disappoint. Laid out as a stroll through a sculpture garden, it punctuates his long presidency through its Great Depression and WW II phases with quotes, statues and waterfalls. Somehow the combination of text, scenery, and anthropomorphic sculpture is quite effective.

It was sobering and provided insight into the trials and triumphs our parents and grandparents lived and worked through.

I found it a better memorial to the Second World War than the WW II memorial. I understand what was attempted with the new WW II  memorial, and I did not find the controversy over the potential disruption of its location between the reflecting pool and the Lincoln Memorial a problem. For me, though, its traditionalist design was somehow banal.

I hope it has the desired effect for those who served and those who remember, but I'll do my contemplation at Arlington Cemetery or the Vietnam memorial, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment